© 2017 Physiotherapy & Massage Clinic - Physiomobility.com. All Rights Reserved.
Physiotherapy after car accident is important. The aftermath of a car accident can be challenging, both from physical and emotional perspective. In such a difficult time, it is common for most people to ignore minor aches and injuries. However, sometimes, these small injuries can transform into a health issue, resulting in pain and discomfort. Therefore, for anyone who has had a motor vehicle accident, it is important to seek help from an experienced Toronto physiotherapist who can help them make a complete and quick recovery.
To help you better understand the importance of consulting with a physiotherapist or a chiropractor after a car accident, we have written this article that will introduce you to the common car accident injuries and how physiotherapy can help you manage them and get back to your routine as quickly as possible.
The Most Common Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA) Injuries
While the type and severity of injuries suffered during car accidents vary greatly depending on the intensity and speed of collision and various other factors, there are certain types of injuries that are encountered in most cases. These include:
- Soft Tissue Injuries — These include injuries that cause damage to the body’s muscles, ligaments, and tendons. The most common type of soft tissue injur
ies experienced during car accidents is Whiplash, a condition in which muscles and ligaments of the neck and upper back are stretched due to sudden movement during a collision.
- Scrapes and Cuts — While most scrapes and cuts are minor and require little or no medical treatment, serious injuries do occur which may result in loss of blood and require stitches.
- Injuries to the Body Organs — Depending on the intensity of impact, an individual may suffer injuries on his head, chest, arms, and legs as well.
Whiplash is one of the most common types among all these injuries and may result in restricted mobility and pain. While symptoms of whiplash take some time to develop, they worsen as the days pass. However, with early with a North York physiotherapist, the pain and discomfort can be avoided and the impact of injury can be restricted.
Physiotherapy After Car accident, How Does a Physiotherapist help?
Seeking care as soon as possible after a car accident is the best way to minimize the risk of developing chronic problems. When you visit a physiotherapist after a motor vehicle accident, he/she can help you by:
- Using cold therapy to manage pain and inflammation at the early stage of recovery
- Mobilizing joints in gentle, repetitive movements to offer pain relief and to restore their mobility and improve blood circulation
- Stretching exercises which can help prevent joint stiffness
- Strengthening exercises to prevent muscle weakness in neck, back and postural muscles
- Assist in returning to work and physical activities in a safe and gradual manner
- Education on how to prevent the condition of being chronic
For patients with serious injuries, a Toronto physiotherapist can develop a customized strengthening and conditioning program and use complimentary treatments, such as massage therapy, chiropractic, and cold laser therapy to restore the functionality and flexibility of the affected joints and muscles.
Remember the key to avoid long-term health-related consequences of a car accident is to remain active and exercise in proper way, seek help from an experienced physiotherapist as soon as possible. Therefore, if you or a loved one has experienced car accident injuries, or if you are experiencing pain due to an old injury, you may consider scheduling consultation with one of our expert physiotherapists. To book an appointment, please call us at 416-444-4800.